(I sent this message out on Monday, Jan 7)
Hello All,
I would like to put in writing where things stand for the Coleman's
Celebration Committee. If you disagree with anything, please let me know.
I agreed to co-chair this committee, but as it turns out there is
presently not another co-chair. I welcome a volunteer. If no one else
volunteers, then I appreciate people stepping in whenever possible.
I'm hoping to keep our meetings to a minimum, but we will need to meet to
make decisions.
OUR FIRST MEETING WILL BE THIS COMING SUNDAY, JANUARY 13 FROM 9:00 TO 9:45
AM. I chose this time because the choir begins to rehearse at 9:45.
At this meeting, I would like for us to decide the date. The two options
we are given are the evenings of Friday, March 14 and Saturday, March 15.
I'd also like for us to outline as much as we can what we will be doing
and what jobs need to be assigned. The advantages to meeting on Saturday
are:
1. Generally people have more time on Saturday and will not be as
rushed in coming.
2. Sharon has offered to cook a turkey if the celebration is on
Saturday because she will have time to do so.
3. Samuel is hoping to be able to fly in from North Carolina. That
might work if the event is on Saturday, but not if it is on Friday.
These are the people who have indicated they would like to be on the
committee or who would like to help with some part of the celebration.
Billie Adams
Zuberi Badili
Samuel Dansokho
Kathy Goebel
Greta Holmes
Sheila Hori
Sharon Hunter-Smith
Linda Larson
Nancy Reed
Almarie Wagner
Gloria Wittum
Below I have included some ideas that I have heard about what we might
want to include. These are just tentative ideas. No decisions have yet
been made. We will make decisions at the meetings. If someone indicated
a willingness to be in charge of a particular item, I wrote their name.
DINNER AND COFFEE:
Set up including tableclothes, decorations, centerpieces,
Plates, silver, glasses, napkins
Coffee set up
Clean up
PROGRAM:
MC: Greta Holmes?
Coordinate who will do what parts of the program
Identify who wants to contribute to the program in what ways:
Tributes to Anne Marie and Don/Toasts and Roasts
Skits, dances, songs, etc.
Congregational singing
Congregational Dancing
Include people from Hyde Park Interfaith Council and other
groups the Colemans have been involved with.
GIFT: Almarie Wagner?
Collect money, buy, and present
CREATE AND RUN OFF PROGRAM: Devin Hamilton
TRIBUTE SCRAPBOOK:
VIDEO OF EVENT:
OTHER:
If you have input and you will not be at the meeting on Sunday, please
give it to me in writing so that we may take your ideas into
consideration. You may either respond to this message, with Reply or
Reply All, send me a letter, or give me a note in church. My mail address
is:
Becky Schaller
5214 S. Woodlawn Avenue Apt. 201
Chicago, IL 60615
My email address is:
bschaller@theriver.com
If you are receiving this message through the U.S. mail and you have an
email address, please let me know what it is. It is much easier for me to
send messages through emails than it is through regular mail.
Thanks for your desire and willingness to help with this.
Becky
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Samuel responded on Wed. Jan. 9
Greetings!
Becky's email is an excellent starter. God willing we will be back to North Carolina
on Saturday night. I like the suggestions and would add one: a collective timeline
of 18/19 years of events that happened since they came: we remember differently
things and it may be both fun and instructive to invite everybody to say what they
remember; some gifted youth could even try to interview as many peple as possible.
Take care,
Samuel
Soon after Samuel's response, Nancy replied.
Becky et al,
I will try to make the Sunday meeting, 1/13, but it is early for me, especially
with a sleepy child in tow!
One important thing: as soon as possible after we set a date we need to get out a
BIG mailing to people all over the country, e.g. to past members/participants in U
Ch who have known the Colemans. We can get some leads from Karen Fields and Jean
Ervin, e.g. Friends of University Church, but hopefully there are other lists that
we can also use. The mailing should include the date, outline of events,
invitation to send a card and a gift. We should consider if a reply card should
be included. I think that Almarie Wagner might be a good person to help with
ideas about this.
Another important thing is to include the children's/youths ideas. They already
started to talk about their feelings about the Colemans' leaving during Jr. Church
on 1/06/08.
Post a Comment